Saturday, August 20, 2011

Crochet Flip Flop Redo

Granny Triangle Flip Flop DIY


After I saw Scotti's crochet Granny Triangle Flip Flops, I was interested in redoing some flip flops that my son had broken earlier this summer.  Of course, I wasn't going to do anything fancy for a guy, but I used her idea to start.


I used two strands of acrylic worsted weight yarn, in black and royal blue, and attached the yarn with a slip stitch to one side, through the hole.  Then I chained a length equal to the size of the former straps, in this case, a chain of 36.  Next, I attached the yarn with another slip stitch to the other side, and did single crochets up through the first 17 chains, 3 sc in the middle chain, and then single crocheted each stitch to the other end and fastened it off.   To attach the loop that was crocheted to the top of the flip flop, I cut two strands of yarn about 4 inches long, threaded them through the bottom of the three middle sc's and tied the two sides together with half-square knots, making a  base for the part that goes between the toes.  Finally, I threaded all four strands of yarn though the hole at the top, and made a double knot, tucking in the edges as Scotti did.  I liked how they turned out.  They were comfortable, and I couldn't feel the knots through the sole.  I had to take a picture of them on my feet, so that you could see the straps better.  The pretty flowers are on my toenails,  not my son's! : )


Update:  The slip stitches I made on the sides wore through really fast.  So, I made knots in the ends after I poked them through.  I may have to use some superglue to hold them, since I don't have a hot glue gun.  I will just have to make sure they are completly dry before my son wears them again.

2 comments:

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

Cute and creative!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I love how you re-used the broken flip flops and made them in a way that would work for a boy. Brava!!