This is what I did: I used one ball of baby yarn from my stash to make the sole. Using an E hook, I began with 11 chains. Then, I made an sc in the second chain from the hook and an sc in each stitch across. For rows 2-18, I made a single crochet in each stitch across. I finished with a rectangle.
For the sides of the bootie, I used another color of baby yarn and crocheted an sc in the end of each row of the rectangle, up one long side, two sc in the corner, in each stitch across the short side, two sc in the other corner, and back down the other side in the ends of the rows. I turned and crocheted a row of sc for rows 2-10. Then I fastened off, leaving a long tail for sewing. I overlapped the sides and sewed across the short section where the toes would be. The booties turned out better for me this way. They held their shape better.